Sunday, 30 October 2011
In response I posted some further ideas, which I am adding and expanding here as well.
I certainly like the suggestion of an Orc dispora after a Mordor level event forces them out in all directions- several ideas for this Event come to mind:
1) The Dwarves have caused 'Mount Doom' to blow and rendered the Homeland uninhabitable;
2) A nearly defeated Elven nation calls down a metor/moon to smash into the world as a final act before being wiped out by the Orcs;
3) Another even stronger force (combined Human Kingdoms?) has invaded the Homeland and even the Orcs cannot win causing the women, children and old to leave while the Warriors hold a rearguard. A new generation will grow up bitter and/or without their male figures.
After being forced out and Taking the idea of using a real world example; The lost Homeland could then take on mythical proportions (like Isreal) leading to an Orcish Return movement centuries later, and causing perhaps the same sort of problems.
Certainly the Orcs scattered from the Homeland would become very different culturally after the destruction of the Homeland. Some ideas:
1) Taken in by another race/culture such as the Dwarves or Humans- as Siskoid suggested there would probably be gettos, perhaps slavery but eventually rebellion or civil rights similar to the Native Ameicans or blacks in the US.
2) Forced conversion to the new cultures strongest religion perhaps becoming the shock troops in the Religons armies.
3) An attempt to set up a new Orc Homeland, but without X or Y factor from Home the new nation is a very different place; perhaps it slips onwards a 'good' God, or is even more brutal than the list nation.
Certainly an interesting way of shaking up a game world!
Saturday, 22 October 2011
Friday, 21 October 2011
I quit World of Warcraft four, five times now? But just as I quit they find a way to drag me back again....
This time its the Pandas...
World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YNqYgxN4VY
Official Site: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists-of-pandaria/
Playable Pandarians for both factions
Raising the level cap
New class: Monk
I will resist... I think!
Thursday, 6 October 2011
Monday, 18 July 2011
I think I like it.
Circles are particular and fussy to decide who goes where, but much preferred to a general dumping of contacts like Facebook has.
Handouts seem like a good idea, though I have tried it yet.
I am hoping Google can add status updates from other social sites plus Peacetime and other video calling.
Lots of time for it to grow!
Wednesday, 13 July 2011
At the office I noticed a persistent tingling all along the right side of my face, and a feeling like someone had punched me- an odd puffiness and slack in the muscles; also a lack of taste. I mentioned it to my Manager who suggested seeing a doctor. So I phone my Surgery and they have no places left for the day- but they open again at 8am. Fair enough - means I'll be late in Wed but my Manager was cool with that. So home I go.
Spend an evening doing stuff on the PC without really paying attention to the problem. Obviously I told my partner Dave but it seems ok and we carry on since I was planning to go to the Doctors in the AM. Then we get to bedtime and apparently I am slurring, and the slack is now noticeable, plus my right eye is constantly weeping. So I phone NHS Direct. The nurse there goes through a whole pile of questions and then recommends I head for A&E right now cos it might be nothing, it might be really, really serious.
So off to Worcester Royal A&E we go and get there about 12.30. Check in with the desk, take a seat. Place sucks. Time stands still. See a Triage nurse who advises we need to see the Duty Doctor and tells us to wait longer... might be 2 hours or so. That was about 1am.
At 5.40am I see the Doctor.
Apparently they had a really busy night. The two gents sleeping in the corner of A&E seemed to agree given they where there before us and still there when we left. Actually so was everyone else. Everyone who was there before or after us, apart from the sleepers, where in and out before I was seen. No fault of the staff or theirs- I have no idea what was wrong with them, but it is a tad...annoying to see others fly through when I am tried, grumpy and bored.
Doctor does an examination and concludes I have Bell's palsy; a facial muscle paralysis. It's not a stroke or something else cos I can move and breathe normally (despite my bulk). They have given me steroids which is the standard treatment, and should aid recovery in 14 days ish. . They have no idea what caused it, though it's not a lifestyle or weight thing apparently.
We got home at 6.30am and crashed out, only an hour short of a 24 hour day.
So pills for a while, no booze recommended. Follow on visits to Doctor later. I feel tried and yucky, though I know it's going to go away eventually I am concerned. On the up side I get to wear eye patches to bed and make pirate jokes. Least I think that's an upside.